Carbohydrates are NOT the enemy
Instagram fitness legend Courtney Black (@courtneydblack) is back to debunk another myth: carbs. She reveals why carbs are NOT the enemy and shares two delicious healthy recipes to prove it
The myth – carbs are the enemy.
The truth – Carbohydrates are a major macronutrient and the main source of energy for the body.
You not You have to cut out carbs to lose weight. In fact, the right kind of carbs will actually help you on your weight loss journey.
When people think of carbs, they jump straight to white bread, cakes, and pizza. These are refined and processed carbohydrates, called “simple carbohydrates”, composed mainly of sugar, offering very little nutritional value.
While balance is absolutely essential (everything in moderation), a diet focused entirely on these types of refined carbohydrates is not recommended from a nutritional standpoint.
the right kind of carbs will actually help you on your weight loss journey
Healthy carbs, or ‘complex carbs’, provide the body with sustained energy and keep us full longer. Fiber and starch are the two main types of complex carbohydrates.
Fiber is important because it helps manage healthy cholesterol, essential for long-term health. Fiber-rich foods include nuts, beans, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Starchy foods include whole grains/cereals, oats, corn, and rice.
The right balance of healthy carbohydrates is essential for the body. Carbohydrates help fight disease and protect the body from long-term complications. Depriving yourself of an entire food group is not sustainable for long-term healthy living and will only interfere with our metabolism down the line.
READ MORE: Instagram Fad Diet FAQs PT Courtney Black
Carb Recipe #1 Chicken and Pine Nut Pasta
Protein: 44.4 grams
Fat: 14.1 grams
Carbohydrates: 65.9 grams
- 2 chicken breasts
- 150g dry pasta (your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of green pesto
- 120 g green beans (trimmed)
- 80g frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon light cream cheese
- 2 tsp pine nuts
- ½ bunch of fresh basil
1. Place the chicken breasts in a pot of cold water, then bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and lower heat to simmer, cook for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and pasta is cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté the spring onion for 4-5 minutes until tender.
3. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes before adding the frozen green beans and peas with a little water, cooking until the vegetables turn bright green but still crisp.
4. Add the light cream cheese, pesto and 1 teaspoon of pine nuts, mix well with another dash of water and reduce the heat to very low.
5. Drain pasta and chicken. Shred the chicken with two forks, then add it to the pan with the creamy pesto sauce with the pasta and mix everything together.
6. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and remaining pine nuts along with a good grind of black pepper.
READ MORE: 13 Ways Carbs Can Help You Lose Weight
Carb Recipe #2 Pulled Chicken Tacos
Protein: 15.2 grams
Fat: 14.1 grams
Carbohydrates: 49.7 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 small tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 red onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili lakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 200g tinned crushed tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 50 g light cheddar cheese (grated)
- olive oil spray
1. Cut the chicken in half horizontally, then add it to a large bowl with the sliced peppers, onion and garlic
2. Drizzle the mixture with olive oil, then add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, Cajun spices and chili flakes. Mix to coat everything
3. Remove the chicken from the bowl and fry in a non-stick pan for about 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Using two forks, shred the chicken and set aside
4. Add the vegetables, scraping the oil from the bottom of the bowl, to the pan and fry for about 10 minutes until softened.
5. Add shredded chicken, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and water and boil for another 10 minutes until thickened
6. Heat another frying pan over medium-high heat and spray it with olive oil. Take a tortilla and dip it in the sauce on one side, then place it coated side down in the other pan and load it with the chicken and vegetables, top with cheese and fry for about 10 seconds. Fold in half and continue until you have used all your wraps
Like this article ? Sign up for our newsletter to get more articles like this straight to your inbox.