“Diet Coke Would Never Do It” – This Viral Kombucha Story Scares Millions on TikTok

A woman named Morgan Bailey recently spent time in the hospital after her kombucha exploded in her hand:

In Morgan’s video, which has been viewed more than 9 million times, she shares: “This is your friendly reminder that if you have kombucha in your fridge and it’s been ‘a little while,’ don’t touch it Don’t. Buy some. Oven mitts and – I don’t know – maybe some safety glasses. It’ll explode.

Close-up of Morgan raising his hand in a cast

BuzzFeed spoke to Morgan (who, thankfully, is OK!) to get more information on this unfortunate situation. She shared that the kombucha had been in her refrigerator, unopened, for about two and a half to three months. “It was just a normal store-bought kombucha that I had had many times before,” she said.

Close-up of Morgan smiling and raising his hand in a cast

However, once she grabbed it, it exploded. “I was in shock. I immediately saw that the cut on my hand was quite serious, so I wrapped it in paper towels and didn’t look at it anymore because I was disgusted,” said Morgan said. “Our dog was in the kitchen with me, so I was nervous that he would be injured. I checked him before I even wrapped my hand and luckily he was perfectly fine. Then my husband took me to the hospital.” (Plus, we love good pet owners 🥹.)

“As it exploded in my hand, the glass cut it in several places, but the biggest cut was between my ring and middle fingers and in my palm,” she continued. “The glass was sliced ​​around my ring finger, but luckily I recently got married and was wearing my wedding ring, because it definitely would have been a lot worse if the ring hadn’t taken some of the impact!”

And while doctors didn’t really explain to Morgan how it happened, she explained, “Obviously the kombucha continued to ferment. The pressure got so high that the slight movement of my seizure l tipped overboard.”

Additionally, Morgan said she noticed in the comments of her video that this unfortunate phenomenon had happened to many other people before, so we decided to speak directly to a highly qualified kombucha expert: Sarah Bond.

Sarah smiling and holding up two bottles of kombucha

Sarah – who is the author of the website Brew Buch – has been making kombucha at home for over a decade. Additionally, she is a vegetarian food blogger on Live Eat Learn.

Sarah smiling and holding a bottle of kombucha

To understand what happened to Morgan, it’s important to know that kombucha is essentially a controlled growth of good bacteria and yeast. Sarah said: “We give it tea and sugar so it produces that unique tangy flavor… as well as the carbonation!”

A pot of kombucha

Juan Antonio Barrio Miguel/Getty Images

In the case of Morgan’s unfortunate kombucha explosion, Sarah explained that the good bacteria and yeast were working hard inside the bottle to create carbonation, but because she hadn’t opened it, the carbonation didn’t occur. had nowhere to go. “This means the pressure just kept building up until the big moment. This is actually very common and one of the most common questions I get asked about brewing kombucha : How to stop explosions! People send me pictures of their homes all the time. Brewed kombucha splatters on their ceilings and walls.”

A woman with spots on her face and glasses holding a test tube containing liquid

And while homemade kombucha explosions are more likely due to varying amounts of bacteria and yeast, store-bought kombucha explosions still occur, even though the bacteria and yeast amounts are better controlled.

Justin Paget/Getty Images

So now that we know this, how can we guarantee that our own kombucha – whether store-bought or homemade – won’t explode?! Sarah explained that if you plan to store a bottle in your refrigerator for several months, it’s important to open it several times to release excess pressure generated by fermentation.

Someone pours a drink into a glass

Stefania Pelfini, La Waziya Photo / Getty Images

Fortunately, kombucha stays good for a very long time thanks to its high acidity. “It is always important to use good judgment when consuming any type of home ferment. Sometimes mold can appear in kombucha, so you should always be vigilant for signs of this and not drink it if it appears. a. strange smells or tastes. That said, I’ve only had one batch of moldy kombucha, and that’s because I didn’t give it tea or sugar for months!”

Close-up of a cup with a tea bag with a skull on it

Carmen Martínez Torron/Getty Images

If you’re curious about how to make your own kombucha at home, Sarah said it’s incredibly simple and you only need a few ingredients to make it (she has a tutorial in the video below) ! “Homemade kombucha costs a fraction of what it costs to buy a bottle at the store, and it’s so fun to play with the different flavors. As many people know, kombucha is also healthy! It’s packed with probiotics that support your gut health.”.

If you want to learn more about making kombucha, Sarah has a ton of information on her website!

Leave a Reply